2011 Foster Youth Interns work on their original report “The Future of Foster Care: A Revolution for Change” in CCAI’s Capitol Hill office
The challenges that children face during and after foster care are real.
- 463,000 children in the US are living without permanent families in the foster care system
- 54% of all children enter foster care (where reported) due to neglect
- 25% of youth aging out of foster care do not have a high school diploma
- 6% finish a two- or four-year degree after aging out of foster care
- Each year, 29,000 youth “age-out” of foster care without the emotional and financial support ready to succeed. This number has steadily risen.
- 40% faced homelessness
- 52% are unemployed
We can change these outcomes.