We view investments in these young people as meaningful steps toward improving the future of foster care. As with any investment, we expect a return. Our former foster youth use their Washington experience to pursue a variety of careers and become mentors for current foster youth.
Want to Mentor? Great! Keep reading!
- Be 26 years of age or older
- Pass a mandatory background check, as well as verification of references and work history
- Commit to attend at least three of the five Saturday Sessions with your mentee and to see mentee outside of planned sessions. Mentors must also keep in touch with their mentee for one year after the summer program concludes (distance mentoring)
- Attend our Mentor Training at George Washington University or attend a makeup session
Are you Mentor Material?
The answer is Yes, if you are:
- A willing listener
- Able to communicate difficult information in a thoughtful way
- Encouraging and supportive
- Patient and flexible
- Talented in your career field
- Tolerant and respectful of individual differences
As a Mentor, what will you do?
Good question. You will:
- Support a young person through an ongoing one-on-one relationship
- Serve as a positive role model and friend
- Plan and participate in activities together
- Build self-esteem and motivation in a young person
- Help your mentee set and accomplish goals
How will SSF prepare us for our role as a mentor?
Invest in Us, We Invest in You:
Our mentors provide emerging adults with the kind of guidance that all young people need. In return, Sara Start Fund makes an investment in our mentors:
- Provides mentor training and curriculum
- Organizes mentor/mentee group activities
- Invites you to the Angels in Adoption Gala
- Recognizes you in Washington Life magazine ad or gala program
- Offers ongoing support and supervision to help the match succeed
For our mentors, as well as our mentees, potential only matters if you use it. Help us explore theirs and use yours. Know that you are making a difference. Mentor with us.
For more details on how to become a mentor, a community partner or an investor, contact email@example.com